Wisdom Community School
Wisdom Community School, in Ndola, Zambia, is operated by Better World Ministry, headed by Brother Charles Mwila Mutambala. The school is in a slum area. Most of the children are orphans or "twice orphaned" (both mother and father have died) and live with a grandparent or older sibling. The families cannot afford the uniforms, books, meals, and materials that have to be purchased to attend public schools. The school is for grades 1-5 and teaches 160 kids in two rooms without electricity or running water. Living Well is partnering with Better World to help Wisdom Community School continue to operate. Many more children in the neighborhood are not attending school, but Wisdom Community School is now full. The school is adding a grade each year to be able to teach the children as they move to the next level.
Since Living Well began partnering with Better World Ministry in January, the Lord has provided several of the needs of the school through donations and the MISSION ZAMBIA 2012 Team.
- Security bars on three doors and one window (the school is in a high crime area, the new books, bookcases, musical instruments, & school supplies are not secure with only locks on the doors)
- Monthly monetary support for three teachers, one caretaker, and part-time principal (commitments for 2012)
- Painting the interior walls
- Cement plastering the exterior of the building to prevent deterioration of the earthen bricks
- Painting the exterior walls after plastering
- Teaching materials (books, paper, pencils, teaching aids, etc.)
- New doors and locks
- Recreation equipment - soccer balls, etc.
- Music equipment, hand instruments
- New Testament for each child
- Books and bookcases
The most pressing needs of the school are:
- Ceiling for classrooms
- More teachers and a principal
- Drilling a well to provide clean water for the school and surrounding area, water pump and water storage tank after well is drilled, approximately $5000
- Constructing a small block toilet building
- Erecting a wall fence to protect the school from vandals
- Construction of a second classroom building to allow the addition of grades 5 – 8
- A feeding program for the students
Exterior of School: Before and After
Interior of School: Before and After
Living Well is continuing the partnership with Better World Ministry to keep Wisdom Community School open and to improve the facility, assure the necessary water and security, and enhance their resources. We believe the Lord wants to work through Living Well to fund the teachers, caretaker, and future principal.
Our desire is to take more teams to work and teach at Wisdom Community School.
All donations will receive a tax-deductible receipt from Living Well and will be used only for needs at the school.
For more information or questions, email or call 405.792.2586.
To donate to the needs of Wisdom Community School:
We gave each child a New Testament Bible in June 2012. After they received their Bibles, we took individual pictures of the children. The following is video/slideshow of the children.
LIVING WELL Zambia Mission Team 2012 shares their experiences.
The Children of Wisdom, June 2012, seen through the eyes of the LIVING WELL Zambia Mission Team